Labels

2.27.2012

Quinoa Squash Soup

My parents came out to visit in November and brought a HUGE squash with them.  It sat in our storage for a couple months--I procrastinated cutting into it because a.) I didn't know if I was actually going to be able to without a saw and b.) how would we ever eat that much squash?!
I'm so glad I finally did because it is now my favorite kind of squash.  The variety is sweet meat and the incredible flavor of the squash is what makes this soup so good.  No idea how to find it at the grocery store. . . so hopefully other kinds of squash will be good in the soup too.  I recommend eating it with Wendy's Homemade Bread.



Ingredients:
5 cups cubed & cooked sweet meat squash
1 yellow onion, chopped
1/4 cup canola oil
4 cups chicken broth (or veggie if you want it vegetarian)
1/4 cup quinoa
1/2 Tablespoon curry

Preparation:

Saute onions in oil
Add squash & broth
Let boil then simmer 15 minutes

After 15 minutes blend with an immersion blender
Add: 1/4 cup uncooked quinoa
         1/2 cup water
Bring to a boil then let simmer for 25 minutes.

Add: 1/2 Tablespoon curry powder & salt to taste

Entire batch: 734 calories
We probably got like 15 servings out of it. (48 calories per serving). Can't beat that! And it is sooooo filling.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I had some and it is really, really good. The squash and the soup :)

    ReplyDelete